Saturday, January 21, 2012

How to Cure the Winter Blues

Winters on the East Coast can get you down.  Early dark skies, bitter cold and icy roads make you dream of spring.  The frigid air seems to make wrinkles look worse and the lack of sunshine makes your complexion so pale that you look sick. My hubby and I seem to slip into hibernation mode during this time of year.  Last night I went to bed at 9:00pm and woke up at 9:00am.  I am a 6 hour a night sleeper so when I woke up 12 hours later, I felt like I missed out on life. 
To get out of this rut I decided to drag my hubby up to George Mason University (GMU) for a date.  This is my college campus during my stint as a student for the next two years.  I survived the fall term with flying colors.  New classes started on Monday and I needed books for five classes.  The roads were a mess today with ice but his SUV is a tank on the road.  

I gave him a tour of the campus.  We stopped to see George Mason, the statue, who is always decorated in some weird get-up.  A "Welcome to Spring Term" sign was hanging on him with no indication of spring anywhere in sight. 

We hit the campus coffee bar and prepared to fight the crowds to buy the overpriced textbooks. 
My dilemma: I was enrolled in 13 credits (5 classes) and had a full time job and kids to raise.  My youngest declared me insane.  Should I drop a class?  Hubby just shrugged.  He is smart.

We roamed the book isles looking for the books.  Surprisingly, the campus was dead.  Where were all of the returning students?  After reviewing the "Writing for the Media" course textbook, I noticed it had a lab.  Classic hint that it was a, (gasp), IT class...computers, ugh.  My IT class last semester was more than a challenge.  I kissed up to that Professor big time.  It worked...I ended up with an "A".    Decision made:  drop that course.  Four is enough for one semester load.

Classes:  Marketing, Advanced Practice Management, Entrepreneurship, and Creative Writing.  Sounds like fun, doesn't it? 

Hubby's arms were sore from lugging all the books around the store.  We took them back to the car and found out that GMU Basketball had a game.  We hiked over to the Patriot Center where the student, me, and the guest, the hubby, grabbed tickets for the student section.  Students are free and guests are $8.  Their record in their Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) conference is 6-1, tied for first place with Old Dominion University.

I had never been to a college basketball game.  The players were 5'11" to 6'9".  Only one Virginia boy on the roster.  The arena was well attended, explaining where all of the students had gone.  The audience was bursting with school spirit.  I almost felt sorry for the cheerleaders who were in the shadow of the dance team, who placed third place in nationals this year.  

The mascot, the Patriot, with a green and yellow face, was kinda creepy looking.  I guess it is a challenge to make a Patriot look spirited without looking freakish.

                                                      
The highlight of the event was the GMU Band.  The Director was rocking in a yellow suit and baton leading a spirited group of students.   The team was playing the Towson Tigers with a pitiful 0 wins on their record.  GMU has a new head coach this year named Paul Hewitt.  The proud "Final Four 2006" banner hangs in the middle of the arena as a reminder of the big event that put GMU on the map.  I am sure Hewitt's goal is to take his team all the way this season. 
 
                                                             

Ryan Pearson #24, the bearded giant, stood out as the player with a personality.  Sherrod Wright was the high team scorer with 22 points.  GMU ended with a winning score of  72-60.  Go Patriots!   

Winter is the time of year to try new activities and expand your horizons.  In a few days, we fly to California for a conference.  Sunshine, here we come.   How do you beat the winter blues?  Try my poll on the panel to the right.  

No comments:

Post a Comment