Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Big Coffee Date Challenge

Photo Credit: celebritysentry.com


For me, coffee is the big motivator.  A lousy cup of joe can ruin my day.  I know, sounds like an addiction.  I have a lot on my plate and that $2.49 cup of caffeine helps me get through my list of things to do.

Dunkin Donuts, or DD as I fondly call the place, has a quick drive thru on the way to work. They know me so well that, in the past, I have forgotten my purse and Maria (yes, I know their names) let me pay the next day.  Is that service or what?  Oh! and I did tell you about those new Cinnamon Swirl muffins!

Starbucks is a block away with no drive thru so I never went near the place.  Just the sound of the wacky concoctions (Gingerbread Latte and Peppermint Mocha) made me leery of the coffee.

When I was single several years ago, I started to date.  If I was ever asked for the preferred place to meet on a date, I always opted for a nice meal.  I usually got what I wanted... Hey, I was on a tight budget raising 3 girls!

On January 10, 2009 I met my challenge, someone who would make me break many rules.  Let me back up for a few weeks prior to this important date. On December 18, 2008 I opened my laptop and saw a dreamy profile photo on my online dating match list with eHarmony.  Darn!  he was from my hometown.  One rule was to avoid all local cronies.  I waited a few days and see if the guy tried to get my attention online.

Isn't he dreamy?
Hmmm.  If anyone has ever done online dating, they will understand the constant itch to check your matches.
Today they even have phone apps for eHarmony.  Thank goodness that feature did not exist in 2008 because that would have been my new addiction.  A few days later, I checked my matches and still no contact from the local yocel.

Let it be known that I am an old fashioned girl!  However, it was time to take matters into my own hands.
I know, I know, he was against the rule.  But he was so stinking cute!  I would have to break another rule.  I was nervous, but I took the plunge and  i-n-i-t-i-a-t-e-d communication, which is comparable to:

1. Making the first move.
2. Picking him up. 
3. Making the first phone call.

I never did this bold, aggressive tactic on any previous potential dates.  Yikes!  What if he didn't respond?
But...three whole, long, excruciating, painful days later, he did!  Sigh.

Now for the real challenge:  trying to pin him down for a date.  We went through the whole guided communication with eHarmony.  Sending fun questions back and forth and reviewing the "likes" and  "dislikes" and "can stands" and "can't stands" that teach you about the core of the person.

He wasn't just cute, smart, and funny; he had a nice car.  I drove a mini van, so it was easy to top my wheels. Now back to the mission to get that first date.

His only flaw was that he loved Starbucks.  He said he relaxed in their overstuffed chairs on Saturday mornings while his three daughters slept in for the day. I am like an energizer bunny. I couldn't imagine just hanging out in a coffee shop on a Saturday.

One day, I dropped the not so subtle hint that my kids were all out of town for the upcoming January weekend.  He told me to enjoy the nice, quiet weekend.  What kind of game was he playing?  That was my sign to ask me on a date!

Here it goes...another rule to break.  I sucked it up and asked him to meet me, gasp, for coffee.  I wasn't bold enough to suggest a prime rib and lobster fest.  Here's the kicker.  He wouldn't commit.  He mentioned something about a schedule issue and that maybe we would bump in to each other over the weekend.

Give me a break!  Now it was time to get down right mean and aggressive.  No!  I insisted that we would meet at noon on Saturday.  I even caved in and settled for Starbucks, if I got a comfy chair.  Jackpot!  He agreed.   And the rest is history.
Our 1st Date!

My husband, George and I met at Starbucks on January 10, 2009 on one cold, slushy Saturday for our first date.  I didn't get a comfy chair.  It was a hard wooden one.  But I didn't care because I had a comfy date to talk to for 3 hours straight with no potty break.  As for the Starbucks coffee:  Yuk!  However, the hot chocolate is to die for.  Happy First Date Anniversary to my Yummy Honey Frappuccino!

Photo Credit: charliebroadway.blogspot.com
Take my poll on the right side bar to pick your choice for best place for a coffee date.  If you have a different coffee place to share, leave it in the comments below.  Thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment