Sunday, December 18, 2011

TACKLE Christmas Cookies

I am not known for my cooking or baking, but on the annual Christmas Cookie Day, our kitchen is a popular place to visit. It doesn't matter who you are,  if you have a hand, you will decorate the baked goods at our house. 

Throughout the years, this traditional day of mess has allowed toddlers to be artists and teens to become relaxed and fun - again. 

The kids enjoy decorating, eating and giving the cookies as gifts.  Christmas was only one week away and the teens were getting worried the event would not happen.

After a long day of decorating the house, the thought of starting another day long project was not appealing to me.  I decided to lolly gag in the morning and gradually work my way to the grocery store for supplies.  I was shocked when three teens contacted me before 11:00 am on a Sunday to scold me for not having the ovens humming.  I snapped out of my holiday funk and jumped into the spirit of Christmas.

Come mixer, and decorator, and sorter and packer.  And taster, and stealer, and secret dog feeder.  We all had a job and worked as a team.

Anyone that participated, received a promised plate of packed cookies.  It was a holiday tradition for over 30 years.  Only one year was skipped and the youngest child still has not forgiven me for that cop out.

Think about all those silly things we do every year for this big day called Christmas.  You never realize how special these annual events are until you do not do them.

His Santa cookie is perfect!
Three hundred cookies later with flour on the ceiling and egg dried on the dog's fur, we have one more memory.  Laughter from decorating disasters, dancing to the old Christmas songs, and good old conversation between parents and teens.

The only one suffering is the poor dog with a small tummy ache (too many cookies),  thanks to the secret dog feeder of the group.  

No comments:

Post a Comment