Friday, June 24, 2011

TACKLE the U.S. Open's Wardrobe

Congressional Country Club
I have been exposed to the sport of golf twice before the U.S. Open at Congressional Country Club, Bethesda MD.  When my hubby announced we were gifted tickets for the final day of the tournament, I immediately thought, "What in the world will I wear to this golf thing?"

He was like a kid with free tickets to an amusement park.  It would be Father's Day and he was a father that deserved a day of celebration.  Raising six girls can be challenging for the only man in the house.

I have to admit that I had a fashion meltdown the night before the U.S. Open.  It was a hectic weekend and when I finally checked out my golf attire, I was not impressed.  I googled "golf attire".  What do spectators wear to watch golf at the prestigious Congressional Country Club?  Presidents golf at this place for goodness sake.

One blog said to dress in a sundress and small heels. I have a closet full of this summer ware.  Dress classic and fashionable.  I looked at our tickets and noticed a terrain of hills, grass and dirt.  Heels? Fashionable? No way.

Bubba
I bolted from the house at 9 p.m. to raid the nearest Target (the only store open until 10 p.m.).   I needed a pair of shorts, a shirt and shoes that would look preppy but comfy.  We were leaving early in the morning and it would be very hot.  Bingo!  I found something acceptable to wear in 20 minutes.

The next morning packed with a hat and towel, we began the day of observation at the 13th hole and saw Bubba Watson, longest average drive (325 yards) of the tournament.  That is the best golf stat I can quote you about the game.

Fashion stat:  Bubba had the coolest golf get up.  I was impressed with his courage to wear this rebellious outfit.  He is really the only player I can remember because of his clothes and fun name.

Yang

Then there was "Red", I mean, Yang.  Later, I suggested we go to the 1st hole to watch everyone tee off.  We squeezed through the crowd and glimpsed the brightest red pants on the planet. 

Yang couldn't be missed against the plush green turf of Congressional.  The pants were a brilliant move to stand out since he was paired with Rory.

Rory, the Winner! 
Rory was the one to watch that day.  He was an Irish lad with a cherub face and a game to beat.  He was on fire all week and triumphed to win on this final day.

The hill with the view of the 10th hole and the 18th hole was the place to be.  It was steep and muddy.  The cute yuppie girls in their little sun dresses and heels were sitting in mud with splatters all over their fashionable outfits.   I sat on my towel in my sensible Target clothes and tennis shoes and was content.

Smiling because I didn't wear heels. Comfy was key!
I was a fashion success.   Rory was a golf sensation.  Tiger Woods was probably home shaking in his Nike shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment