Sunday, August 26, 2012

Freedom from the phone: Just turn it off


I was reminded to leave my cell phone in my car during a recent visit to the County Courthouse.
Unfortunately, it was like leaving my arm behind.  I don't hover over my screen like many people.  I just listen for tweets or rings that may be important in work and family.   

My daughters are permanently attached to their phones.  One was yelled at in church by a lady who saw her sneaking a text during the Gospel reading.  I am not proud of this behavior. 

The cell phone has been a great punishment tool.  "Get good grades or we'll take your phone," was a common echo when senioritis set in for a few of the children.  One long punishment left my one child feeling liberated from the freedom of the constant nagging of her phone contacts.  Later, her so-called friends were angry at her for not responding to their pleas for attention.    

My son, in the military, must exercise self control from his phone.  He leaves in downstairs when he goes to bed.  A good, simple plan.

NY Times reported how one person turned off his phone and felt tension and a thrill of being digitally cut-off:  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/technology/cutting-the-digital-lifeline-and-finding-serenity.html?smid=pl-share



   

No comments:

Post a Comment