Sunday, September 18, 2011

TACKLE Old Rag Mountain in Virginia

My spouse has hiked 600 miles on the Appalachian Trail that extends from Maine to Georgia.  If you agree to go backpacking in the mountains with an Appalachian Trail (AT) section hiker, be prepared for some interesting experiences.

1.  We showed up at Old Rag Mountain parking lot ($15) at the ungodly hour of 5:30 AM for our day of exercising.  It was dark, cold and scary.  I had one microscopic flashlight,  hot coffee and an overactive imagination.  I thought a bear would attack us any minute.



2.  After fighting off spider webs on the dim, steep switch backs on Ridge Trail, we emerged to sunlight where my spouse announced the beginning of the infamous "very challenging rocks".   Flat, Old Rag Granite (dated 1.2 billion years old by geologists) was stretched along the trail.  This looked manageable to me.  I was in for a surprise. 







3.  My spouse had hiked Old Rag Mountain ten times, so he was in charge.   I assumed that we arrived at the top of Old Rag when I saw this view.  This was only the first of many gorgeous scenes of the Blue Ridge Mountains.   I had a long way to go.












  









4.  The fall weather was bringing the change in leaf color.  In October, the trails would be packed with spectators admiring foliage in full splendor. 

Wildlife put on a show with deer frolicking to the sound of woodpeckers tapping on trees.  We even stumbled upon a pigeon bobbing along the granite.   












5.  In the Fall of 2000, Shenandoah National Park had the largest fire in its history.  Today, there is evidence of nature regenerating.  











6.  The trail transitioned from a dirt path to a blaze directed scramble of rocks and boulders of granite and basalt.  At this point, I regretted not bringing gloves.  Rock climbing was now on the agenda.












7.  Techniques in hiking include sliding down the sides of boulders and sliding through intrusive basalt dike formations that fractures in a staircase pattern.

8.  Another hiking technique includes the squat, a necessity to maneuver under the low hanging ledges.  I now understood the meaning of the "very challenging rocks" in the trail.  I was getting a little claustrophobic.  I am physically active in my daily life, however, my muscles were not prepared for this workout.
                                                                  
                                


9.  Three hours later, I was starting to think I made a mistake.  My spouse is an experienced hiker and this trail was tough.  There was no turning back.  I had to suck it up and get to the summit of Old Rag Mountain.


10.  It took three and one half hours to reach the top of the mountain.  I only had one skinned elbow, raw hands, a bruised knee and two slight panic attacks.  One feeling of anxiety struck me when I felt stranded at the base of a wall of granite.  The second hit me when I had to jump over a bottomless hole to get to the next boulder.  




 11.  It was sunny and warm until we reached the top where it was chilly.  This is our view at 3,291 feet.  Visability is zero because we were in a cloud.  We ate a snack and planned our descent down the mountain.   We had not seen one soul since we left the parking lot.   Suddenly, we heard voices.  Three men in their sixties appeared and told me about the "easy" Saddle Trail down the mountain.  My angels had rescued me.  My spouse balked at the wimpy trail, however, it would be a new one for him, so he agreed. 




12.  It wasn't that easy, but no boulders the size of my house to climb.  I could deal with this trail. 




13.  The Saddle Trail had pleasant surprises like the Old Rag Shelter, a protective area for hikers caught in bad weather. 



14.  Connecting bridges, streams and waterfalls led us back to our parking lot.





15.  Colorful shelf fungus grabbed our attention as we continued along the Weakley Hollow Fire Road.



16.  Old Rag Mountain was once the local sight of a small mountain community.  Shenandoah National Park was established in 1935, resulting in the relocation of this community.  Any signs of human activity should remain undisturbed.



Finally back at the parking lot.  A long, exhausting day and our daughters were probably still in bed.  It was a  great experience but I would not recommend the Ridge Trail to young children.  You should be healthy and in good physical condition to get to the top of Old Rag Mountain on this trail.  The Saddle Trail is a good alternative and was very scenic.

No comments:

Post a Comment