Friday, July 29, 2011

TACKLE Going Back to School at 50

Some people think I am crazy.  But for me, going back to school at age 50 is finishing something I started 20 years ago. 

From 1978 to 1980, I attended Millersville College, PA majoring in Business Administration.  I put my education on hold to move to Virginia and open businesses and raise babies.

Later, from 1990-1991, I enrolled in George Mason University and, guess what, I had more babies.  I started to wonder if the schools put a fertility drug in their drinking water.


The children are growing up fast and I am growing old faster.  This summer I decided to reapply to George Mason University (Mason).  Admissions said my file was purged, so I was concerned that I may not qualify with my old credits.  Thank goodness the decision was mailed to me quickly:  Accepted.  I didn't have time to dwell on the fact that I am 50 years old, still managing businesses and have two teen daughters remaining at home.  How would I have time to fit in school?

The $250 deposit and orientation reservation were due pronto!  The BIS program (Bachelor of Individualized Study - Communications) had an advisor available to discuss a game plan.  Ok! Ok! I'll do it!

As soon as I was locked in Mason's system, the information started to flow.  Instructions to look up my G#, sign up for a Mason email, get a parking pass and read the online catalog were sent to me.  Mason now offers catalogs only online to save the trees.

The day of orientation I was greeted by the big man on the Fairfax, VA campus:  A statue of George Mason, who is holding his draft of the Virginia Declaration of Rights.  The statue is the center of the 806 acre campus that enrolls over 32,562 students. 

I felt like George when I arrived at the entrance to the Johnson Center.  We were grown ups in a sea of wide-eyed, energetic students.  George was dressed up in balloons with green and gold paraphernalia.  At first, I felt sorry for George being poked, prodded and decorated.  But after studying his pleasant facial expression, I realized he liked the attention.  He was proud of his campus and the members of the George Mason Patriot family.

Moving inside the Johnson Center, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I was not the only old timer.  I met a few adults re-entering the coed world.  Their reasons for hitting the books varied from filling time (empty nest), unemployment, boredom and a career change.

Scheduling classes has changed drastically since the stone ages of my college years.  Gone are the lists of classes in the dingy hallways detailing open and closed classes.  The online class registration was a snap.  Mason Ambassadors (student volunteers) jumped or danced to your rescue with any questions or inquiries to get you up and rolling.

The commute wasn't too awful from Manassas.  Forty five minutes at rush hour is manageable.  I have already thought about the weather during the upcoming fall and winter semester.  The campus has 5,389 residential students so I doubt the campus closes with snow.

I'll think about George when I am trekking north on those cold, slippery mornings in the winter.  He'll be holding court in the snow greeting the youngsters and the old fogies.

No comments:

Post a Comment